Articles in peer-reviewed journals
- 2009: “Mindfulness approaches to childbirth and parenting” in the British Journal of Midwifery
- 2009: “A Model of Mindful Parenting: Implications for Parent–Child Relationships and Prevention Research.” in the Clinical Child and Family Psychology Review
- 2010: “Mindfulness-Based Childbirth and Parenting Education (MBCP): Promoting Family Mindfulness During the Perinatal Period” in the Journal of Child and Family Studies
- 2012: “A mindfulness approach to antenatal preparation” in the British Journal of Midwifery
- 2013: “Mindfulness in maternity” in the British Journal of Midwifery
- 2014: “Mind in labor: Effects of mind/body training on childbirth appraisals and pain medication use during labor” [abstract] in The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine
- 2014: “Mindfulness-Based Childbirth and Parenting (MBCP): A health promotion model for childbirth education” in the International Journal of Birth & Parent Education
- 2015: “Mindfulness-Based Childbirth and Parenting (MBCP): Innovation in birth preparation to support healthy, happy families” in the International Journal of Birth & Parent Education
- 2016: “Mindfulness in Maternity: Evaluation of a Course for Midwives” in the British Journal of Midwifery
- 2016: “‘I’ve Changed My Mind,’ Mindfulness-Based Childbirth and Parenting (MBCP) for pregnant women with a high level of fear of childbirth and their partners: study protocol of the quasi-experimental controlled trial” in BMC Psychiatry
- 2017: “CenteringPregnancy With Mindfulness Skills: Enhancing the Thread of Presence” in The CenteringPregnancy® Model (pp. 188-202)
- The Center for Healthy Minds and Center for Child & Family Well-Being at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
- The Osher Center for Integrative Medicine at the University of San Francisco
- The Oxford Mindfulness Centre at the University of Oxford
- The Research Institute of Child Development and Education at the University of Amsterdam
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- 2014 American College of Nurse-Midwives Book of the Year
- 2013 National Parenting Publications Award Winner
“Every once and a while a book comes along that is truly useful for a specific purpose, and yet, in using it for that purpose, repurposes you and transforms how you see and move in and understand your life and the world. Mindful Birthing is one of those books.” ~ Jon Kabat-Zinn
Bardacke, N. & Duncan, L. (2014). Mindfulness-based childbirth and parenting: Cultivating inner resources for the transition to parenthood and beyond. In R. Baer (Ed.), Mindfulness-based treatment approaches: Clinicians guide to evidence base and applications (2nd ed.). London, UK: Elsevier.
Bardacke, N., & Duncan, L. G. (2017). CenteringPregnancy With Mindfulness Skills: Enhancing the Thread of Presence. In S. S. Rising & C. Quimby (Eds.), The CenteringPregnancy® Model (pp. 188-202). New York, NY: Springer Publishing
- “Parenting with Presence” | Mindful Magazine
- “The Mindful Birth” | Greater Good Magazine
- “Not Busy Being Born is Busy Dying” | Inquiring Mind Magazine
- “Birthing as Teacher” | Inquiring Mind Magazine
- “Mindful Birthing” | Pregnancy and Newborn Magazine
- “Four Reasons to Practice Mindfulness During Pregnancy” | Greater Good Magazine
- Mindful Birthing and Parenting Foundation
- UCSF Osher Center for Integrative Medicine
- UCSD Center for Mindfulness
- Centre for Mindfulness at the University of Oxford
- For recent and current research projects and bibliographic references, visit the University of Massachusetts Medical Center.
- To sign up for an online monthly newsletter about mindfulness research, go to the Mindfulness Research Monthly (MRM).
- Another rich resource is the Mind and Life Institute.
- Brach, Tara. Radical Acceptance.
- Chödrön, Pema. Start Where You Are.
- Chödrön, Pema. Comfortable with Uncertainty.
- Chödrön, Pema. The Places that Scare You.
- Epstein, Mark. Thoughts Without a Thinker.
- Gunaratana Mahathera, Ven. Henepola. Mindfulness in Plain English.
- Goldstein, Joseph. Insight Meditation.
- Goldstein, Joseph & Kornfield, Jack. Seeking the Heart of Wisdom.
- Goleman, Daniel. Destructive Emotions: How Can We Overcome Them? A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama.
- Hanh, Thich Nhat. Peace is in Every Step.
- Hanh, Thich Nhat. The Miracle of Mindfulness.
- Hanson, Rick. Buddha’s Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love and Wisdom.
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon. Coming to Our Senses.
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon. Full Catastrophe Living.
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon. Wherever You Go There You Are.
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon & Myla. Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting.
- Kornfield, Jack. A Path with Heart.
- Kornfield, Jack. After the Ecstasy, the Laundry.
- Kornfield, Jack. Bringing Home the Dharma: Awakening Right Where You Are.
- Kramer, Gregory. Insight Dialogue: The Interpersonal Path to Freedom.
- McCown, Reibel & Micozzi. Teaching Mindfulness: A Practical Guide for Clinicians and Educators.
- Rosenberg, Larry. Breath by Breath.
- Salzberg, Sharon. Lovingkindness.
- Salzberg, Sharon. Real Happiness: The Power of Meditation.
- Santorelli, Saki. Heal Thy Self: Lessons on Mindfulness in Medicine.
- Segal, Zindel; Williams, Mark & Teasdale, John. Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for Depression.
- Shapiro, Shauna & Carlson, Linda. The Art and Science of Mindfulness.
- Siegel, Daniel. Mindsight.
- Stahl, Bob & Goldstein, Elisha. A Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction Workbook.
- Suzuki, Shunryu. Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind.
- Tolle, Eckhart. The Power of Now.
- Williams, Mark & Penman, Danny. Mindfulness: An Eight-Week Plan for Finding Peace in a Frantic World.
- Williams, Mark; Teasdale, John; Segal, Zindel & Kabat-Zinn, Jon. The Mindful Way Through Depression.
- Inquiring Mind
- Bardacke, Nancy. Mindful Birthing: Training the Mind, Body and Heart for Childbirth and Beyond.
- Boston Women’s Health Book Collective. Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth.
- Dick-Read, Grantly. Childbirth Without Fear: The Principles and Practice of Natural Childbirth.
- Gaskin, Ina May. Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth.
- Lothian, Judith & DeVries, Charlotte. The Official Lamaze Guide: Giving Birth with Confidence.
- Simkin, Penny. The Birth Partner: A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Doulas, and All Other Labor Companions.
- Block, Jennifer. Pushed: The Painful Truth about Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care.
- Hrdy, Sarah Blaffer. Mothers and Others: The Evolutionary Origins of Mutual Understanding.
- Huggins, Kathleen. The Nursing Mother’s Companion.
- Klaus, Marshall; Kennell, John & Klaus, Phyllis. The Doula Book: How a Trained Labor Companion Can Help You Have a Shorter, Easier, and Healthier Birth.
- Moberg, Kristin Uvnas. The Oxytocin Factor.
- Mohrbacher, Nancy & Kendall-Tackett, Kathleen. Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers.
- Paul, Annie Murphy. Origins: How the Nine Months Before Birth Shape the Rest of Our Lives.
- American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM): For information about pregnancy, childbirth, the postpartum period, breastfeeding and general women’s health.
- Centering Healthcare Institute: For information about a pioneering group-care model of prenatal services.
- Childbirth Connection: An excellent resource for evidence-based information about maternity care practices in the United States and resources about pregnancy, childbirth and the postpartum period.
- Brink, Susan. The Fourth Trimester: Understanding, Protecting, and Nurturing an Infant Through the First Three Months.
- Huggins, Kathleen. The Nursing Mother’s Companion.
- La Leche League International. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding: 35th Anniversary Edition.
- Kabat-Zinn, Jon & Kabat-Zinn, Myla. Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting.
- Klaus, Marshall & Klaus, Phyllis. Your Amazing Newborn.
- Martin, William. The Parent’s Tao Te Ching: Ancient Advice for Modern Parents.
- McClure, Vimala. Infant Massage: A Handbook for Loving Parents.
- Nugent, Kevin. Your Baby is Speaking to You.
- Sears, William & Sears, Martha. The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know about Your Baby–From Birth to Age Two.
- Siegal, Daniel & Hartzell, Mary. Parenting from the Inside Out: How a Deeper Self-Understanding Can Help You Raise Children Who Thrive.
- Siegal, Daniel & Bryson, Tina Payne. The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child’s Developing Mind, Survive Everyday Parenting Struggles, and Help Your Family Thrive.
- Small, Meredith. Our Babies, Ourselves: How Biology and Culture Shape the Way We Parent.
- Karr-Morse, Robin & Wiley, Meredith. Scared Sick: The Role of Childhood Trauma in Adult Disease.
- Pollan, Michael. Food Rules: An Eater’s Manual.
- Walser, Robyn & Westrup, Darrah. The Mindful Couple: How Acceptance and Mindfulness Can Lead You to the Love You Want.